Monaco’s Princess Charlene, who recently welcomed twins and successfully delivered by caesarean section, will not do any public engagements, the palace said Sunday, citing a “medical situation.”
Her pregnancy and subsequent birth have “become burdens” for her and the royal family, said a statement released Sunday on behalf of the royal household.
In a separate statement posted to a social media account, the palace indicated that Charlene, 46, will also move to a more “recreational” environment. She will “take time to spend with her family, official work, and (with) private undertakings.”
“The decision to be withdrawn from public duties is expected to be temporary, but will be undertaken with sadness and with the deepest regret,” the statement read.
The statement did not state what the problem was, but said the princess is expected to be better by early next year.
However, some British newspapers had speculated that the problem was linked to a back injury from a fall that Charlene took in July.
The princess will not be on official duties until she is 100 percent, the palace added.
“Her dignity and sense of loyalty will remain forever,” the statement added.
Charlene, a former Olympic swimmer, is one of the country’s most popular and well-known royals, with her husband, Prince Albert II, being regularly viewed and photographed by thousands.
Since 2004, she has been the head of Marie Stopes International, an international health charity aimed at “providing emergency contraception and positive pregnancy tests to women across the world and promoting responsible sex.”
This week, the palace said Prince Albert II was recovering from surgery. It was not clear what surgery he underwent.
Prince Albert II was named president of the University of Monaco last April.
The royal couple had been due to visit the Belmotte kindergarten to celebrate its 5th birthday later this month, but this will now not happen.